Friday, November 28, 2014

How to Greet a Customer in a Retail Store

You: Hi, Sir / Ma'am welcome to "your store name", is there something I can help you with today?

This straight forward question is effective and to the point. I believe that asking a question about how you can help begins showing that you are placing their needs before your own, which is extremely important. 


Customer: Sure, I'm looking for some flowers for my wife. She's been a little under the weather.
Customer communicates their needs to you.

You: I'd be glad to help you make your wife feel better. My name is Joseph. May I have your name?
You communicate that you understand their needs. It may be good to phrase this in the form of a benefit. It is OK to tell them your name and get theirs.

Customer: Tom Moody.

You: Thanks, Mr. Moody. Sheila Jackson runs the floral department. If you'd walk this way, I'll show you. Walks. Sheila, Mr. Moody is trying to cheer his wife up with some flowers, do you think you could help him find something nice?
You are letting your customer know how you will be helping them. You could also make sure that you communicate your customer's needs to any other employees that will be involved. Or would you rather hear, "There's a lady in the floral dept. She'll probably be able to help you."

Sheila: Sure, I know just the thing Mr. Moody.

You: Have a nice day, sir.

I hope this article about How to greet a customer in a retail store helped. If you are looking for more info, please look us up.

By Joseph Nelson
Joseph Nelson is the owner of a company that distributes retail store fixtures, retail display cases, and food service equipment. It is his goal to provide great information and products to people in the retail and restaurant industries.