Tuesday, November 25, 2014

3 Listening Skills That Make an Awesome Call Centre Service Associate

As someone into R&D, I've often interacted and talked with a lot of people in the companies that I've worked for. One of the major segments of people that I've spoken to have been call centre advisors who deal with customers through multiple channels day in and day out.
I have worked with those who are new to the industry as well as those who are veterans. I have also has an opportunity to interact with those who managed to climb up the corporate ladder and become managers and trainers.
In this entire journey of interaction with awesome workers and professionals, I have learnt that communication skills are the most important factor that makes a good customer service agent. But it is good listening skills that make an awesome one! So, I thought of putting some points across that these professionals shared with me.

Listen rather than just hear - Focus
Listen rather than merely hearing what a customer is saying! This is almost a cliché but the fact is that the most understated and the most undermined piece for people in the communication based service industry.
Often it is observed that advisors do hear what the customer is saying but they aren't actually listening to it. This is one of the reasons that a dialogue could go like this -
Customer - "My credit card is blocked. I think I ended up locking it when I entered the wrong pin three times while purchasing a product online. Can you help me?"
Advisor - "Yes Ma'am, I certainly can, but could you tell me if you were buying this product online from a store."
Now, you're confusing the customer. And all because you didn't hear the customer properly! Our mind is often wired for selective hearing. You registered that the customer's Credit card is blocked. You also registered that they entered the pin wrong. But you didn't register that they did it while purchasing a product on the internet.
This is because the moment you heard pin lock; your brain started rushing to the thoughts of how you will unlock it. Which commands, what process, what keys will you process.
Now while the customer perhaps will not get angry at you as long as you give them the resolution, let's face it, being asked to say the same thing which I already said a few seconds ago isn't awesome!

Paraphrase
Let us see, how we can avoid the above. So, if the advisor was listening to what the customer said above (I mean actively listening to it), he / she would say something like this -
Advisor - "Ma'am, just to double check, you were purchasing a product from a website and entered your pin wrongly three times. Now you would like me to unlock it for you. Is that correct?"
Customer - "yes!"
Advisor - "Ma'am I'll go ahead and do that right away, may I please put this call on hold for... "
Now because you were listening and paraphrased (repeated the customer's problem in your words) AFTER understanding it, there's no possibility of the customer saying - "I just told you I was buying it online and NOT from a store!"
The customer is not confused, they had a closed ended yes / no question to answer and they know that you got it right the first time!

KISS (Keep it short and Simple)
I know you all deal with the dead air issues. The quality demands that there should be no dead air and that the customer shouldn't feel like you left them on the line all by themselves. The solution is - know your process and keep it short and simple. Once you've given the resolution, I'd prefer this - "Ma'am, I've unlocked your pin again. And now I will take you to the IVR where you can punch in a new pin to set it. Please use the new pin for further transactions." Certainly I don't want something like - "Ma'am, what I've done is that I've unlocked your pin. Now, I will route this call to the IVR. I request you to set your pin again. Once you do that, please remember it. And then you'll be able to use it for all future transactions."Remember, it's always simpler to remember bullet points. They're shorter, crisper, easy to remember and more attractive.
Also, these are just three tips and not an exhaustive list for people who offer call centre services. Any call centre service provider should ensure that their training and development team and their quality people constantly give your advisors tips to improve their listening skills.

By CM_Jain
http://www.gurgaonithub.com/